31 May Recipe: Teriyaki Chicken Pineapple Bowls
Gotta say I was pretty stoked (who says that?) about this meal. And I also gotta say that I thought scooping out a pineapple would be a lot easier. Of course the BuzzFeed video I watched made it look like a breeze. Kinda like when they make cutting a spaghetti squash easy and you end up either almost stabbing yourself right in the stomach or turning the knife that is now stuck in the spaghetti squash as a hammer on the cutting board. Banging and banging until the thing cracks in half enough to pull apart.
But the whole pineapple thing is easier. I promise. Yet still semi annoying. Maybe I’m just weak and still need this baby muscles to grow. Either way…I think it was worth fighting with the pineapple a little bit it order to eat this deliciousness out of it! And yes, the inspiration came from a BuzzFeed video with some minor tweaks and it made for a fun Friday night meal on the deck! Give it a try, put an umbrella in your drink and then pretend you’re in Hawaii.
- 1 large pineapple
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, divided
- Cut pineapple in half lengthwise. Cut around the inside of the pineapple, then scoop out the flesh, leaving about a half inch to make a nice sturdy bowl. Drain any extra juices and set flesh aside for later.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cooke for about 3-4 minutes. Add liquid aminos, sugar, and honey. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn heat down and let simmer for 8-12 minutes. Add sliced pineapple chunks and cook for another 1-2 minutes, then sesame seeds and stir to combine.
- Scoop one cup rice into pineapple boat, then divide chicken mixture among the two bowls.
- Devour 🙂